Thread: Did Prozac can kill neurons :D?

Question Did Prozac can kill neurons :D?

I already know that preventing inactivation of some neurotransmitter can kill the post synaptic neuron ...but i m wondering did when Prozac is preventing inactivation of that neurotransmitter can lead to dead of some neuron ?

I'd be interested in finding that out as well!
    Optimize your brain, optimize life!

Check out the latest news on brain supplements and neuroscience!

I posted this thread a long time ago.. now i know the answer.

Prozac prevents reuptake of serotonin. The astrocytic response which if inactivated would lead to neuron death involves a different neurotransmitter (glutamate).

Thumbs up

Hello,

I would like to say, people suffering from clinical depression tend to have a shortage of serotonin in their brains, and medications like Prozac can help to alleviate depression by increasing the availability of serotonin in the brain. Certain antidepressants including SSRIs like Prozac will reduce the effect of psychedelics, but there are two notable exceptions. MDMA and an MAOI can induce a hypertensive crisis which may cause death! Along the same line's, anti-depressant drugs that increase serotonin (e.g. SSRI's including Prozac) boost the rate new neurons are made. Perhaps depression or recovery from it may be related to the formation of new neurons.

Thanks a lot
    Stephen Jones