Thread: specific timing question: intracortical or extracortical stim comes first?

Question specific timing question: intracortical or extracortical stim comes first?

Greetings,

I believe this information is probably buried somewhere in the literature, but I can't find a discussion that specifically relates two events in the development of the CNS.

("Time" below refers to, say, the number of days passed since the first cell division of the zygote.)

Of course eventually cortical neurons engage in I/O with others of their ilk, but there must be a time before which
    "no cortical neurons have experienced input from each other"

So at that time cortical neurons began interactions. Call it Onset_CC (onset of cortico-cortical)

Similarly,
    there must be a time before which no distal input has been forwarded by the thalamus (or by any other pathway)

So at that time cortical neurons first received input from extra-cortical "elsewheres". Call it, for example, Onset_TC (onset of thalamo-cortical....)

What comes first? Interaction among cells destined to play a role in the fully configured cortex, or stimulation of those cells by extracortical "input"? What is the timing chain out to maximally distal?

Thanks very much.

Chris Lanz
    lanzcc@potsdam.edu
    Last edited by lanzcc; 06-16-2011 at 05:18 PM. Reason: I misunderstood my login status & thus saved inadvertently