Thread: Questions about HUMAN Nervous System

Default Questions about HUMAN Nervous System

Hello all, I am hoping you can answer some questions that I've been itching for answers lately...

1. Are there sensory neurons that connect directly to motor neurons in humans, without an interneuron in between?
    2. Can a single sensory neuron directly connect to multiple inter or motor neurons?
    3. Is this chain of connections possible? sensory neuron > interneuron 1 > interneuron 2 > interneuron 3 > interneuron 1
    4. Do some sensory neuron to motor neuron connections have more interneuron chains than others?

Thanks!

Quote Originally Posted by CuriousCurt View Post
    Hello all, I am hoping you can answer some questions that I've been itching for answers lately...

1. Are there sensory neurons that connect directly to motor neurons in humans, without an interneuron in between?
    2. Can a single sensory neuron directly connect to multiple inter or motor neurons?
    3. Is this chain of connections possible? sensory neuron > interneuron 1 > interneuron 2 > interneuron 3 > interneuron 1
    4. Do some sensory neuron to motor neuron connections have more interneuron chains than others?

Thanks!
    for number one I believe interneurons are separate because they are only in the spinal cord and only serve as a short cut. whenever the body faces danger, instead of sensory neurons reporting all the way to the brain and then motor neurons in the brain send appropriate signal to parts of the body. interneurons allow the sensory neurons to only have to travel up to the spinal cord instead of all the way to the brain. therefore interneurons are only used to produce reflexes.