Thread: Sensation and Perception

Default Sensation and Perception

This course explores how senses work and how physical stimuli get transformed into signals in the nervous system, as well as how the brain uses those signals to determine what's out there in the world. All the senses are discussed, with a focus on vision. Topics include perception of color, motion, form, and depth.

MIT OpenCourseWare | Brain and Cognitive Sciences | 9.35 Sensation and Perception, Spring 2004 | Home

Brain is a wonder and to understand human brain we are using human brain itself. What is going to happen?

sounds good to me

heather24nunez

Human brain is unique, its really hard to understand brain because of its complexity. Though James you have given quite detailed function of it and its parts. Specially I like its perception and sensation part the most. Looking forward for it.

hello friends,

Sensation is the stimulation of sense organs. Perception is commonly defined as the process of creating meaningful patterns from the unprocessed sensory data. All of all Brain is the master.

Regards,
    Stephen Jones

What if someone has the sensation of his own brain, like like being aware of what brain region some processing is bein made?

Hello,

I would like to say, Sensations can be defined as the passive process of bringing information from the outside world into the body and to the brain. The process is passive in the sense that we do not have to be consciously engaging in a "sensing" process. Perception can be defined as the active process of selecting, organizing, and interpreting the information brought to the brain by the senses.

Best of luck
    Stephen Jones

I actually took this course a few years ago and have to say that it was quite well taught and the material was really interesting. Nice to know the materials are all online.

brain shirts and neuron shirts
    Last edited by herbbread; 10-17-2011 at 03:16 AM.